Saudi-led forces fight Houthi border advance, killing 20: residents

DUBAI Helicopters and fighter jets belonging to a Saudi-led coalition on Sunday repelled Yemeni Houthi fighters who have been pressing a six-day-old offensive to seize Saudi territory, residents and Saudi state tv said.

Two residents told Reuters that 20 Houthi fighters had been killed at the southern border of the Saudi provinces of Najran and Jizan, even though Saudi state tv put the number of Houthi dead at 50.

The Houthis and allied fighters loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh have been trying to capture Saudi territory because March, when a Saudi-led alliance of Gulf states intervened in Yemen to try to reverse the Houthis’ seizure of the capital and restore Saleh’s Gulf-backed successor, President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.

Hundreds of Houthi-aligned forces launched a key offensive on the border on Tuesday, capturing three Saudi outposts close to Najran and destroying armored vehicles, according to the Houthi-run Saba news agency.

Further south, the coalition carried out dozens of air strikes in Yemen’s central Taiz and Marib provinces. Medical sources and residents mentioned a single strike had hit a house in Sirwah, Marib, killing ten civilians.

The United Nations says that at least five,700 folks, almost half of them civilians, have been killed and two.3 million displaced considering that the Saudi-led coalition started conducting air strikes.

(Reporting by Katie Paul and Mohammed Ghobari Editing by Kevin Liffey)

Agen Sabung Ayam