Tag Archives: Officials

UPDATE 1-Eurozone officials rule out IMF’s exclusion from Greek bailout

ATHENS The IMF will not be excluded from Greece’s third bailout program review, Eurozone officials told Greece on Saturday after its prime minister said the global lender was not playing a constructive role.

Earlier this week Alexis Tsipras accused the IMF of making unrealistic reform demands, triggering a reaction from German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schauble, who said it was not in Greece’s interest to question the fund’s involvement.

“There is no chance that the first review will conclude without the IMF,” Eurogroup Working Group President Thomas Wieser told the Kathimerini weekly newspaper.

“This is not my personal opinion or that of EU institutions, but a reality that occurs from the parliamentary procedures in some member states,” he said.

The IMF said earlier this year it would wait to see the outcome of Greece’s debt relief talks with EU partners before agreeing to inject new cash as part of an 86 billion euro ($ 94.45 billion) third bailout program.

Athens, meanwhile, hopes to start debt relief talks in February after a successful conclusion of the latest bailout’s first review that includes a painful pension reform.

Another European official, European Stability Mechanism (ESM) chief Klaus Regling, said on Saturday the IMF would participate in Greece’s bailout with a small contribution, adding in an interview to weekly newspaper To Vima that this was agreed in July.

The ESM chief said the organization aimed to re-profile Greece’s debt and smoothen servicing payments to make it viable and attract investors.

“We will aim to smoothen the profile of the debt… If we manage to extend a little more the period of the already very low repayments, then we will attract investors,” he said.

Earlier this month Greek finance minister Tsakalotos told Reuters he saw a 50-50 chance of Greece tapping capital markets by the end of 2016 – the first time it would do so since it was excluded from them in 2010.

(Reporting by Lefteris Karagiannopoulos; Editing by Clelia Oziel)

North, South Korean officials meet in fresh bid to increase ties

SEOUL Senior officials from North and South Korea met for talks on Friday to discuss enhancing ties and resuming cooperation projects, like cross-border tours, stalled amid tensions that have remained higher for practically six years.

South Korean Vice Unification Minister Hwang Boogi met with the North’s Jon Jong Su, a vice director of the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea, at the jointly-run Kaesong industrial zone a handful of miles north of their border.

The meeting was the very first forum for high-level discussions over a variety of issues following an agreement in August that ended an armed standoff involving an exchange of artillery fire across their border.

The North was expected to seek the resumption of cross-border tours from the South to its Mount Kumgang resort, a as soon as-lucrative source of money for the impoverished state that was suspended in 2008.

Seoul in turn was expected to try to get Pyongyang to agree to hold reunions of war-separated households on a normal basis, a best humanitarian priority for the South, where a lot more than 60,000 mostly elderly people are seeking for relatives in the North.

“Between South and North, there are several issues to go over and resolve. We will do our ideal to operate them out step by step,” Hwang, the chief South Korean delegate, told reporters prior to boarding a bus to cross a land border into Kaesong.

The rivals, technically nevertheless at war right after their 1950-53 conflict ended in a truce, not a treaty, had all but cut ties since early 2010, when a South Korean navy ship was sunk by a torpedo that Seoul stated was fired from a North Korean submarine. Pyongyang denies any involvement.

The talks come a day soon after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un appeared to claim that his country had developed a hydrogen bomb, which is much more effective than an atomic bomb, although authorities and U.S. and South Korean officials expressed doubt that the North has such capability.

Also on Thursday, the United Nations Security Council held its second meeting on human rights in North Korea, despite the objections of 4 nations such as China, its principal diplomatic and financial backer.

The agenda for Friday’s talks was “concerns that will improve ties” among the North and the South, according to the South Korean government. Inter-Korean ties are frequently measured in terms of industrial exchanges and joint projects.

The industrial zone in Kaesong, founded in 2002, is the last remaining major joint project to outcome from an earlier period of improved ties.

(Reporting by Ju-min Park and Jee Heun Kahng Writing by Jack Kim Editing by Tony Munroe and Michael Perry)

Agen Sabung Ayam

U.S. yet to agree details on new force’s part in Iraq: officials

WASHINGTON The United States has but to agree with Baghdad on essential specifics governing the part of a new American particular forces unit aimed at hunting Islamic State militants in Iraq, U.S. officials said, underlining the troubles Washington faces dealing with Iraq’s weakened leader.

Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced on Tuesday the planned deployment of the modest force, whose raids against Islamic State targets would be the first sustained military operations by U.S. forces in Iraq given that American combat troops left in 2011.

U.S. officials said it had been discussed and coordinated with Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi.

But Iraq’s ruling alliance and strong Shi’ite militias have warned against the strategy, raising doubts more than regardless of whether Abadi has the political clout to safe a final agreement.

In comments that may possibly have been intended mostly for public consumption at home, Abadi stated hours soon after Carter’s announcement that any such deployment would demand his government’s consent. On Thursday, he mentioned that any deployment of foreign ground troops would be deemed an “act of aggression.”

U.S. officials stressed that there will be no unilateral American military operations in Iraq, unlike in neighboring Syria. But precisely how a lot say Abadi will have more than the unit’s activities, and how much freedom of action the Americans will have, is still undecided. Possessing Abadi sign off just before every single raid would be cumbersome, U.S. officials think, and crimp the new unit’s effectiveness.

The Obama administration plans to send a group to Baghdad in coming weeks to sort out the specifics with Iraq’s government, officials stated.

“With Abadi, a core fundamental principle of ours in this whole issue is that almost everything we do in Iraq is with complete consent and coordination with the Iraqi government,” a senior administration official stated. “So we will not be carrying out something in Iraq unilaterally.”

It is unclear if the unresolved inquiries will prompt a delay in the dispatch of about 100 elite U.S. Special Operations Forces to Iraq, which Carter mentioned would launch raids in both Syria and Iraq to safe hostages, collect intelligence and capture Islamic State leaders.

U.S. DILEMMA More than ABADI

The sturdy resistance to the program in Iraq highlights a dilemma for U.S. President Barack Obama.

He desires to do far more to fight Islamic State, accountable for the current deadly attacks in Paris, Egypt and elsewhere, and which controls swathes of Syria and Iraq. But he also does not want to undermine U.S. ally Abadi, whose energy is severely circumscribed by the Shi’ite militias.

Abadi has been under mounting U.S. pressure to rein in the Iranian-backed armed groups, angering the forces who get pleasure from assistance from several of Iraq’s majority Shi’ites and which have also been a bulwark against Islamic State.

Under one alternative becoming regarded for the force, Abadi and his government would give their assent for the U.S. specific operators to conduct raids in a offered location against a pre-agreed list of targets.

That would enable U.S. forces to be far more nimble-footed in acting on time-sensitive intelligence. Abadi would likely be notified just before, or as, every raid is launched – but not sign off on a mission-by-mission basis.

“There are methods to make these factors perform,” stated the senior official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the issue’s sensitivity.

Another key query is whether or not Baghdad will be brought into the image on raids the United States conducts exclusively with Kurdish Peshmerga forces, provided that the Kurds often insist on acting independently from the Iraqi military.

The likelihood, the U.S. officials said, is that Abadi would at least be briefed in advance on high-profile operations with Kurdish fighters — as occurred with an October rescue mission that freed dozens of hostages from an Islamic State jail — but not so for much more routine raids.

In Baghdad, exactly where memories of the U.S. occupation remain fresh, Shi’ite lawmakers have threatened to question Abadi in parliament more than the planned American deployment, and even to seek a no-self-assurance vote in his leadership.

Calls by two senior U.S. senators, Republicans John McCain and Lindsey Graham, even though visiting Baghdad on Nov. 29 to triple U.S. force levels in Iraq to ten,000 — with an equal number in Syria — also heightened Iraqis’ suspicions.

“If they stopped providing these statements and they do it with the government, they could send not just 100 – maybe 500 with out anyone rejecting,” mentioned Sami Askari, a senior lawmaker from Abadi’s State of Law coalition.

“But when they come in public and say we will send 10,000, we need to have to send ground troops, everybody will say what’s going on?” Askari mentioned.

Washington recognizes that Carter’s announcement could add to Abadi’s political troubles, one more U.S. official said.

The Obama administration hopes that its expressed willingness to seek the advice of with Abadi on the deployment could assist preserve Shi’ite hardliners at bay, the official mentioned.

Secretary of State John Kerry stated on Wednesday that “We will continue to perform very, quite closely with our Iraqi partners on exactly who would be deployed, exactly where they would be deployed, what sorts of missions men and women would undertake.”

(Further reporting by Jeff Mason in Washington and Stephen Kalin in Baghdad. Editing by Stuart Grudgings)

Agen Sabung Ayam

Molotov explosive kills 12 folks at Cairo restaurant: security officials

CAIRO A Molotov cocktail hurled at a Cairo restaurant killed 12 people and wounded six on Friday, Egyptian security officials stated.

One of the officials said the attacker was an employee who had been fired from the restaurant in the Agouza region in the center of the Egyptian capital.

Security officials earlier mentioned 18 men and women died.

Islamist militants have claimed a number of bombing and shooting attacks in Egypt, largely against members of the security forces considering that the army toppled President Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood in 2013 following mass protests.

(Writing by Michael Georgy Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Agen Sabung Ayam

Tunisia dismisses security officials after suicide bus bombing

TUNIS Tunisia’s government on Tuesday dismissed 5 senior officials, which includes the interior ministry’s top safety chief, a week soon after a suicide bombing killed 12 presidential guards in an attack in the center of the capital.

Tunisia, mainly a haven of stability because its 2011 revolt against autocrat Zine Abidine Ben Ali, is increasingly being challenged by Islamist militants and authorities have kept a state of emergency in place considering that the Nov. 24 attack.

The prime minister’s office mentioned that the secretary of state for safety “has been relieved of his post” and the interior ministry stated 4 other senior officials have been dismissed. Neither the prime minister’s workplace nor the interior ministry gave any details of the causes for the dismissals.

Authorities on Tuesday said they had seized a cache of arms and explosives, the second such operation in two days.

The bus bombing in Tunis was the third main militant attack in Tunisia this year and responsibility was claimed by Islamic State, the group that controls components of Iraq and Syria and has supporters elsewhere in the globe. The two other attacks targeted foreign visitors – a single on a beach resort at Sousse and the other at the Bardo museum in the capital.

Several thousand Tunisians are fighting with Islamic State and other groups in Iraq and Syria. The gunmen in the Sousse and Bardo Museum attacks all educated at militant camps in Libya.

(Reporting by Tarek Amara: writiing by Patrick Markey editing by Grant McCool)

Agen Sabung Ayam

China offers 14 officials jail terms over 2013 oil pipeline blast

BEIJING A total of 14 former Sinopec and government officials have been sentenced to three to 5 years in jail for a massive oil pipeline explosion in 2013, the official Xinhua news agency mentioned on Monday.

The explosion in the eastern province of Shandong killed 63 men and women and injured 156, causing direct financial loss of 751.7 million yuan ($ 117.53 million), Xinhua said.

($ 1=six.3960 Chinese yuan renminbi)

(Reporting by Beijing Monitoring Desk Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

Agen Sabung Ayam

Agen Sabung Ayam – Fire in Chinese Coal Mine Kills at Least 21, Officials Say

Agen Sabung Ayam

BEIJING â?? Authorities say a late-evening fire at a coal mine has killed 21 men and women and left one missing in the northeastern Chinese province of Heilongjiang.

The official Xinhua News Agency said Saturday that the fire at the Xinghua mine in the city of Jixi was brought below control and that 21 bodies have been recovered at the mine, owned by the Heilongjiang Longmay Mining Holding Group.

The provincial function security administration confirmed the death toll on Saturday.

A work security employee who only gave his family members name of Xing says rescuers are searching the missing person.

Xinhua says 38 miners had been operating underground when an angle belt caught fire on Friday night and that 16 folks have been pulled out to security.

Xinhua does not say what brought on the fire.

Loading…