Two charged with conspiracy to commit ‘terrorism’ in Australia soon after police raids

SYDNEY Australian police mentioned they had charged a 20-year-old man and a 15-year-old boy with conspiracy to conduct an act of terrorism soon after they had been arrested in the course of early-morning raids in Sydney on Thursday.

Police told a news conference the plots could have integrated attacks on government buildings, like the headquarters of the Australian Federal Police in Sydney, and attacks on random civilians.

Three other males, all of them already in custody on terrorism-related offences, will also be charged in connection with the raids.

The arrests on Thursday resulted partly from proof seized for the duration of police raids in December 2014, a police statement stated.

The guys arrested on Thursday were involved in “formulating documents connected with preparations to facilitate, help or engage a particular person to undertake a terrorist act”, it stated.

Australia, a staunch ally of the United States and its battle against Islamist militants in Iraq and Syria, has been on heightened alert for attacks by residence-grown radicals given that final year.

“It is disturbing that we continue to deal with teenaged kids in this environment,” New South Wales state Police Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn said.

“To be putting a 15-year-old before the courts on very severe charges that carry a maximum penalty of life imprisonment demonstrates the issues law enforcement face,” she stated.

In September 2014, police shot dead a Melbourne teenager after he stabbed two counter-terrorism officers. Final December, two hostages have been killed when police stormed a central Sydney cafe to finish a 17-hour siege by a lone gunman, who was also killed.

A 15-year-old boy shot and killed accountant Curtis Cheng at police headquarters in the Sydney suburb of Parramatta in October and was then killed in a gunfight with police outdoors the constructing.

(Reporting by Matt Siegel Editing by Paul Tait)

Agen Sabung Ayam