Australia, SE Asia need to ‘re-double’ efforts to keep away from Paris-style attacks

SINGAPORE Australia and Southeast Asia should re-double efforts to share intelligence and make sure Paris-style terror attacks cannot be replicated in the region, Australian Justice Minister Michael Keenan mentioned on Wednesday.

Hundreds of Indonesian Islamic State sympathizers and some Malaysians and Singaporeans are believed to have gone to fight in Syria and Iraq. Southeast Asia faces the threat of attack when they return, Malaysia has mentioned.

“The truth that the national security circumstance has substantially deteriorated for all of the countries in the area, such as Australia, implies we want to re-double those efforts,” Keenan, who is also Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on Counter Terrorism, told Reuters in an interview in Singapore.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the deaths of 130 individuals in attacks in Paris last month, the deadliest in France considering that Globe War Two.

Keenan also denounced comments by U.S. Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump who has known as for a ban on Muslims entering the United States following final week’s massacre in San Bernardino, California, by a Muslim couple.

“That is totally the incorrect response,” Keenan said. “When we appear at Southeast Asia, we get a great example that we are not somehow at war with a particular religion. And neither do we want to target Muslim Australians or anyplace else in the globe.”

Australia subsequent week marks the anniversary of a siege in central Sydney in which a gunman with radical Islamist sympathies took more than a central city cafe. Two hostages and the gunman have been killed when police stormed the constructing.

(Reporting by Ryan Woo Extra reporting by Fathin Ungku in SINGAPORE Editing by Nick Macfie)

Agen Sabung Ayam